10/24/23

XXX

 XXX

By Duncan 


Using the “XXX” might be considered adult material in some circles. But, again, is “XXX” really what you think this story is all about?  



In this story, the triple “XXX” is about a Galveston, Texas Brewery that graded its product by putting a “XXX” on its barrels. It was common practice to mark the barrels with 1 “X” if the product (sugar or gun power or beer ) was not their best grade, 2 ”XX '' is a little better grade, and the very best product rating was 3 “XXX” grade. The beer the brewery was making was called “Hi-Grade.” And how can you call your beer “Hi-Grade, and not put three XXX on the barrel? 


Galveston Brewing Company 


I’m sure you're thinking this is all about beer. Well, if you know me at all, you know I’m not a “beer” kind of guy. 


In 1895, the Anheuser-Busch Brewing Association of St. Louis produced 100,000 barrels of beer sold locally under the name “Hi-Grade.” Its Keg beer was distributed in steel-banded oak barrels marked with the XXX. (Symbolizing their very best.) 


We need to throw “Prohibition” in this story. The State of Texas closed the Galveston brewery in 1916 in anticipation of Prohibition. The company decided to rename its facility called Southern Beverage Company, and the brewery equipment was converted to produce XXX soft drinks syrups, primarily root beer and ginger ale. In 1923, the Triple XXX brand had 150 bottlers and 100 "Thirst Stations" (drive-ins) operating throughout the country. 


TRIPLE XXX THIRST STATION 


Things change in life, “Ain’t that the truth.” And businesses get bought and sold, and they lose their identity. The corporate structure of the Southern Beverage Company changed several times in the subsequent decades, including the acquisition and controlling interest by Dr. Pepper Bottling Company. 


But the “XXX” syrup was still a valuable product. It was a brand with too much profit to be disbanded. So the Keg’s of XXX root beer syrup kept moving out the back door. 


Here is a quick note. I found it interesting that the XXX product was a Keg of syrup. The end user (The Thirst Stations) had to add water and pure cane sugar to the syrup. 


And because the syrup came in Kegs, the thirst stations used the “Keg” and the “XXX” as part of their logo, much like the Golden Arches of another well-known fast food company.  


Now, I need to back up a little. Back to the mid to late 20s. Root Beer was an in-demand product, right? And the Thirst Stations realized they could add food, perhaps burgers, fries, and hot dogs, to the menu. A small counter and a stool for the customer to sit and enjoy a frosty mug of root beer and a burger. 

Originally called the Triple XXX Thirst Station when it opened in 1929, the establishment founded near the campus of Purdue University was renamed Triple XXX Family Restaurant decades later. 

Greg and Carrie Ehresman 


Born on April 29, 1930, Jack T. Ehresman, a Lafayette native, purchased the landmark restaurant with his wife, Ruth, some 40 years ago from Lee Lydick. 


In 1969, Greg Ehresman landed his first job at The Triple XXX. 


Not only did Greg wash dishes, he was also given the coveted task of making Triple XXX Root Beer. Mixing the pure cane sugar recipe by hand, he used a stainless-steel paddle—the same paddle the Ehresmans still own.  


On April 1,1999, Greg and Carrie Ehresman bought the restaurant from his parents. Jack T. Ehresman, former owner of the famed Triple XXX Family Restaurant in West Lafayette, passed away at 90.


The Food Network’s own Guy Fieri brought his show Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives to West Lafayette, showcasing the restaurant’s history, and he took a big bite out of some of the best burgers around. 

https://www.triplexxxfamilyrestaurant.com/


For me, this is a must-see restaurant. Something that has legs that have lasted this long, 100 years for the root beer and 94 years in business in the same location, I’ve got to have a look-e-see.



It’s hard for me to imagine how people can be so dedicated to a profession for so long. I can only assume a gene in the body says I want to own my own place. I want to have something I call my own. So, a person looks for a service or a product. Serving the general public and enjoying it has got to be a God-given talent. 


Last Friday, I headed north to West Lafayette, Indiana. It was about an hour and a half drive. Google Maps took me up Highway 52, the old road that used to carry traffic to Chicago until Interstate 65 was built and completed in 1970. The ride up (52) was slow and beautiful. The trees are just starting to turn into their autumn colors. I say slow because the speed limit is 60 MPH. And for those of you who don’t know, there are uniformed employees of the state who take your picture and then want to pull you over with their flashing lights and chat with you for a few minutes. In fact, I noticed several “picture takes” on that long stretch of road. So I obeyed the posted speed limit, coming and going. 


I’m not sure why I feel the need to visit these places. Perhaps it’s the history; maybe it’s knowing the people involved that got these restaurants to where they are today. Touching a little bit of an earlier and simpler time? 


Many friends run off to Paris and Rome and need to see and touch history. Or maybe it’s the feeling of getting close to their roots. But it’s fair to say that Europe treasures its past customs and architecture more than we do in the United States. It’s my way of looking back at the past and seeing how we have evolved here in my backyard. 



I was struck by the garish black and orange stripes on the building. I’m not sure this motif, this decorative design, or pattern would be compatible in Europe. But its gaudy, loud, brash, perhaps tasteless exterior is designed to attract. It’s hard to miss sitting on the corner of Salisbury and State Street, West Lafayette, Indiana. Of course, the Purdue University student demographic they are trying to attract will know where it’s located.   


I parked in the back and found a place that was used by carhops at an earlier time. I entered the restaurant by what looked to me like a back door. One inside the space is tight. There are no tables, only horseshoe counters and stools to sit on. You are elbow to elbow-with the person sitting next to you. 




I didn’t get the name of this server (waitress), but she was definitely friendly. She told me that my waitress was much better than she was. I laughed, thinking, “Boy, she must be something.” 



Well, she was something. I asked her name. “Sam.”  


“Sam” Is that short of Samantha?” 


I got a quick glimpse of her name tag. “Samantha Ehresman” This young lady is the daughter of the owners, Greg and Carrie Ehresman. I turned and noticed a picture on the wall behind me. 



Greg Ehresman, Samantha Ehresman, Guy Fieri, (Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives) and mom, Carrie Ehresman. 



"Yep, that’s me in the picture. Now, what can I get you for your first visit to The Triple XXX?“



The seating is very tight. The stool surfaces are very hard. That’s not a complaint, but I was thinking, I doubt I will be lingering long sitting on these puppies. Not a bad idea if you need to move customers in and out.  You know, in a small place like this, you need “turnover.” 



They say the burger is chopped steak, dipped in flour and placed on the grill. I decided to go with the “Most Ordered Meal” they serve. A hamburger, excuse me, a chopped steak burger. It was good, and I was surprised that my taste buds didn’t do summersaults. The burger was tasty. Hey, they have been around for 94 years and have received all kinds of rewards for their meals. Who am I to question “profession?” I asked for a refill on my empty root beer mug. 



TW got the fries, and I got the onion rings. It was a fun trip and got to know the people around us. The guys to our left talked about Workingman’s Friend In Indianapolis. Wanting to know if we had ever eaten at Workingman’s.


And the answer is “Yes, several times.” Well, it was over. We finished our meal and had a fun time. We came, we conquered, and it was a pleasant experience. It's time to head back to the house.


“Yes, I had to open my arms. It’s what I do!”


6 comments:

Jack said...

Love the pictures!

jack said...

Great pictures!

Jack said...


Great pictures!

Doc M said...

I grew up in W. L., the Triple X was a local landmark, obviously around forever! And it's always had the garish Orange and Black paint scheme, you could never miss it driving by!
Great food and tradition, I hope it goes on for a long, long time!

(I'll go with you next time if T is busy!)

Doc M said...

I grew up in W.L. Triple X was a landmark of the town (or is it a small city now?). It's always been orange and black outside, can't miss it!

Life in Motion with Rodney said...

You sure you haven't been there? I led a Cruiser Club Ride up there for lunch once, thought you were with us?
Next time you are up that way you need to check in my parents, they would love to see you!

Rodney

WHAT TO DO NOW? PART II