11/12/23

MINER - DUNN

 MINER - DUNN

By Duncan



There are several reasons to travel to the northwest corner of Indiana. A couple of good ones and some not so hot! No, this will not be about Gary, Indiana. 


As a side note to the people who hate that I spread my arms open (as in the picture above) and send me an email that says, “You think you own the world, don’t you?” I just want to say I’m sorry if you are irritated that I enjoy being MYSELF.  


If you read my preceding story, The Town Club, you know about a “Halfway Lunch” to visit with my Personal And Very Close Friend, Jack. He wanted to do lunch halfway between Milwaukee and Indianapolis. That meant I needed to travel two-and-a-half hours north to Highland, Indiana.  


While I was in the Highland, Indiana area, I was also aware of a Hamburger Joint that was started in 1932 and is still operating today. I have had this place on my radar for some time now. Why? Any business that can stay in business for (2023 -1932 = 91) ninety-one years needs to be experienced. About three or four places in Indiana still operate their original business that got their start in the 20s and 30s. It would be fun to visit them. 


And the third and maybe “Not so hot reason” to travel to northwest Indiana? I used to sell mortgage insurance to all the Banks, Savings and Loans, and other financial Institutions in the area. Back in the 70s, it was a different time. My job was to “SELL.” One of the things that was allowed in the 70s and was considered standard operating procedure (SOP) was entertaining clients with long lunches in a Supper Club, Bar, Diner, or Local Hangout. Those were some very good days, my friends. As I got to know the local professionals, I discovered they enjoyed tipping back a few themselves. I continue to have fond memories of days and nights gone by. 



Let’s start with an improbable story. The date is May 9, 1932. We (The United States) are in a depression. Just a few years earlier (1929), the stock market crashed, and people were jumping out of New York City windows. Times were tough. Soup lines were everywhere. Unemployment was at 25%. “Brother, can you spare a dime?”



The government (Social Security Administration) opened soup kitchens to feed the hungry. Even Al Capone opened a soup kitchen in Chicago. 


Nevertheless, on May 19, 1932, Harold Miner and Ralph Dunn put hard luck aside. 



Harold Miner and Ralph Dunn decided to go into business together. The hamburgers were small and inexpensive. There was no other way to operate. 


They rented a building for $25.00 a month and invested eighty dollars ($80.00) in kitchen equipment and six stools for customers to sit on. On opening day, they had sales of $7.85. They had more people willing to work for food than customers who could afford it. They opened the doors to the first Miner-Dunn restaurant at 5440 Calumet Avenue, Hammond, IN. 


 The original location of Miner-Dun, 5440 Calumet Ave, Hammond, Indiana.   


One thing leads to another. Two large steel mills were operating in the area. Inland Steel and United States Steel, US Steel is the larger of the two steel mills. World War I and World War II required both steel mills to operate at peak occasionally.

At one point, the Inland Steel Company started a 24-hour-a-day operation. One of the things that had to be considered was how to feed all the employees at lunchtime. Inland Steel subcontracted the task to Miner-Dunn, who had started a catering service. 

Ralph Dunn, age 80, talks about the old Miner-Dunn massive catering operation at Inland Steel during World War II. They were feeding three shifts and 17,000 employees a day. Miner-Dunn hired about 100 black women, unlike the white women, who were afraid to go into the rough and tumble-dirty steel mills. And for ten years, Miner-Dun had one hell of an operation. It was reported by Ralph Dunn that his business was grossing over two million dollars a year.

A little research tells me Miner-Dunn had 7 locations at one time. Some in Indiana and a couple in Illinois. If you ask an employee of the restaurant, they tell me they had a maximum of four locations. But today, that is a moot point. They have ONE location, and we are at 8940 Indianapolis Blvd, Highland, Indiana.  

8940 Indianapolis Ave, Highland, Indiana. Let’s go inside. 

Waiting for a table.

Waiting ... this is a busy place. 

Dinning in the back of the restaurant.

Well, I got off on the wrong foot with my waitress. I was too flamboyant. Here is how it started. 

LIS:  “HI, can I help you? What would you like to drink?” 

ME: “Hi, what is your name? I don’t want to call you, Hey You.” 

LIS:  “Lis.”

ME:  “Liz?” 

LIS:  “No, Lis.” 

ME:  “List?” 

LIS:  “L I S!!, L  I  S !!”

ME:  “Is that an abbreviation for a larger name?” 

LIS:  “Yes, Melissa.” 

ME:  “Please forgive me for not getting your name right. 

(I have messed up big time, I’m a jerk, screwing up her name. 

I'm thinking I need to play this pretty straight from now on.) 

ME: LIS, thank you, I came from Indianapolis, Indiana to this restaurant because it has lots of history. How long have you worked here? 

I have been here for about 6 weeks. 

Six weeks, wow, and how do you like working here? 

It’s fine, I normally get customers who can hear me when I talk to them.  

(I noticed a very small smile on her lips.) 

Well, LIS, If this old man you're waiting on was going to be here just one time, and one time only, and we were going to enjoy each other's company for an hour, what would you suggest I order? That’s on the menu. 

One time, huh?  Let’s see, you need a cheeseburger, fries, and a few onion rings. Then you need to order a chocolate malt to drink, not a shake. I can tell you are a MALT kind of guy.  

(Again, I see a small smile on her lips

Lis wrote my order on her pad. Do you think that will satisfy me? 

She leaves the table, and I’m back to my old self, I think. 

I will say one thing about this Malt; let me give this Malt "word" a capital “M.” This is possibly the best I have ever had. Holy smokes, this thing is a taste bud killer. Delicious. 

The bun was fresh, and the burger overall was excellent. The onion rings get an eight out of ten. Crispy and hot. I was most satisfied with what was put in front of me. Lis kept stopping by to ensure things were okay and asking if I needed anything. 

I told her, yes, I need something. I need a picture of you and me. I figured she would give me a hard time about taking a picture. But she didn't.

I told her I knew she was not allowed to sit with the customer but requested she sit beside me and take a picture. You see that little smile on her lips; she hides her emotions. She made the meal a lot more enjoyable. 

LIS - DUNCAN 

I didn’t read the menu; I just let it flow. I didn’t realize the meal offers a complimentary orange sherbert with the meal.

Everyone gets a complimentary orange sherbert. And all of a sudden, here it is. Sherbet, to cleanse the pallet, as in fine dining environments. 

It was a pleasant experience. Lis left the bill on my table, and away she went. I finished the sherbert and walked to the front of the store to pay the bill. 

I noticed Lis across the room, taking orders from other customers. I pointed at her and gave her a thumbs up! She gave me a smile back. 

As I walked outside, heading for “Mean Yellow,” Lis came busting out the front door behind me with a gal pal. 

“Don’t you want a picture under the big sign?” 

NO!!! I want a picture of the two of us under the sign. I handed my cell phone to the gal pal.

DUNCAN, LIS (SHORT FOR MELISSA) 

Okay, No Arms!!  It’s time to head for the house. 


5 comments:

Jack said...

One of your better posts! Next time we do a "half way lunch," let's eat there!

Anonymous said...

Steve, I lived in Munster before I moved to the
Chicago area. My favorite burgers were at
Schoop’s.

Anonymous said...

Love those travel stories

Diane said...

Good story Great looking food I want the Malt

Sandy said...

Malt and food look delicious. I want to go there!!

WHAT TO DO NOW? PART II